Solidification and Stabilization
Enhancing the Performance of Cement-Based Systems
As Solidification & Stabilization continue to provide a primary method of remediation, active control technologies must become less complex, easier to use, and broader in range. CETCO provides solutions that cover a wide variety of heavy metals and organics in a large pH range, in order to meet these increasingly complex requirements.
Solidification & Stabilization refers to the process that encapsulates or reacts in order to immobilize contaminates and reduce leachability in contaminated materials.
Problems that exist with traditional methods include:
- Reduced performance in high and low pH leachates
- Heavy metals can escape the solidification/stabilization process
- Longer process times decrease productivity
- Cost of materials
Solutions CETCO offers:
- Individual product formulations optimized for wide pH ranges allow for increased compliance
- CETCO products' strong ion exchange capability allow for the capture of many heavy metals
- High adsorption capacities and fast adsorption rates result in higher productivity due to time and inventory savings
- Traditional agents, such as fly ash, are not as efficient without CETCO additives thereby raising process costs
In situ stabilization/solidification: enhancing cement-based systems
In situ solidification/stabilization (ISS) treatment can be more cost effective and more protective of human health and the environment than traditional dig-and-haul remedies. ISS treatment minimizes excavation and the associated release of volatiles and eliminating the additional costs of landfill disposal. ISS prevents or slows the release of hazardous constituents from contaminated media. CETCO provides in-situ treatment additives for cement based S/S projects.
Ex situ solidification of sludge, soil, or sediment: meeting disposal criteria
CETCO can also assist with ex situ solidification of sludge, soil or sediment. To ensure safe disposal of contaminated media in a landfill, waste must meet certain disposal criteria, ensuring that liquid phase materials are properly solidified. CETCO provides ex situ treatment technologies that can be used alone or as an additive to cement based mixes. These materials are mixed into waste or contaminated media to render it safe for landfill disposal.
Low-level rad waste solidification: meeting disposal criteria
Super absorbent media are used to solidify aqueous low-level radioactive waste (LLRW) and mixed waste (MW) generated by DOE, DOD and other commercial facilities. These products have a strong affinity for water. They are capable of absorption ratios of up to 300:1 by weight with minimum swelling. Through a sorption mechanism, water is bound and converted into a high strength gel, which will retain its disposition throughout transportation and final disposal. The use of CETCO super absorbent media over traditional absorbing agents allows generators of LLRW and MW to significantly reduce their cost for disposal by minimizing the total volume.
Our products generate solids to pass the following tests:
- Paint Filter Liquids Test (EPA 9095)
- Slump Test - CSA Test Method A23.25C
- Liquid Release Test (LRT) Procedure (EPA 9096)
- Toxicity Characteristic Leaching Procedure (EPA 1311)
- Leachable BTEX (benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene and xylenes)
- Solids meet Class II (non-hazardous) Landfill Criteria